
I owe it all to the day I found myself the lucky winner of a bicycle, courtesy of a family owned video store in WJ Utah. Ever since that one event, life has never again presented me with an extraordinary amount of luck. This is not to say I am without any, so there is no need for your sympathy, however it seems this one "lucky" win back in the early 90's has made life interesting in the years since then. You might ask for proof, and while I can easily tell you to go back and read previous postings to this blog, I have a new tale ready and waiting for your judgement.
Yesterday my Dad and I were waiting to board our plane at JFK, when we heard some ladies behind us coughing quite loudly. Having had a cough recently I thought nothing of it, until the coughing persisted and reached levels I can only assume are indicators of tuberculosis. While this can not be verified, as the government tries to keep all cases from getting out into the public, you'll have to trust me on this one. The idea of sitting next to one of these ladies casually crossed my mind, but I chased it away thinking my luck was not THAT bad. Oh how I was wrong.
My dad was seated in the aisle, and I was in the middle. . .leaving the window seat to my right open. Enter coughing older woman #1. Thinking our situation couldn't get worse, coughing older woman #2 came on scene and sat in the aisle seat directly across from my Dad. We were sandwiched between both potential health hazards. From that point on, until the five hour flight was over, we were more than likely exposed to every bad germ in both these ladies bodies. And, as if the coughing wasn't enough, both ladies had a certain smell about them that could not be positively identified by the end of the flight. Let's just say it was more than a simple case of body odor. Oh how I wished I could blame that smell on simply neglecting the use of some sort of anti-perspirant. There were even passengers several rows behind us that complained about the smell. At one point, one of the flight attendants even brought out bags of coffee for the people behind us to keep on their tray tables, allowing them to remove the tissues both had shoved up their noses.
Other than the extreme urge to burn everything I wore that day, and all the items kept under my seat, I seem to be in okay health today. I fear the emotional damage may last longer than any physical symptoms that may be coming my way.
So, here's to hoping my luck has finally hit rock bottom, and can only get better from here. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment