It all began one fateful day about a year and a half ago when I went to scratch the back of my head and realized that a big chunk of my hair was missing near the scalp. At first I thought it was just a mistake, so I asked two co-workers, and they confirmed my worst fear: a huge part of my hair was now shorter than an inch long. Immediately I started formulating reasons as to why this would be happening, but came up short. I hadn't changed the way I treated my hair, I got along with all my roommates, and I recently had it cut so it was healthy. I eventually got over it, knowing it would grow back.
As time went on, I didn't see much change. I hadn't lost any more hair, and the little strands were starting to grow. Come November, about a month after I had received another haircut, more of my hair in the back started to fall out in chunks. Then, I noticed that all of my hair was now significantly shorter than it had been, and my pony tail was about 1/3 the size it used to be. For someone with thick hair, this was very easy to notice. It continued to become thinner and coarse, and no longer went unnoticed. I tried about five different shampoos, all very expensive and
supposed to help dry and brittle hair. None of these worked, including the leave in conditioners and heat protecting products I also tried.
The thought to try and cut my hair crossed my mind, but I wasn't too keen on the idea of willingly losing more hair, so I resisted. One day I was sitting at a friend's house and casually opened up a magazine, where I found an article about a girl's experience with losing her hair the same way I had. Hers had been caused by thyroid problems, which I had been wondering was my problem as well. I had the blood work done, but in the great joke of my life, the test came back normal. Then, I had general blood work done and all that came back normal as well.
While I'm not Samson, and my physical strength does not come from my hair, there is a certain confidence that comes with having your hair look good. Maybe it comes from growing up with my mother, but us Y girls have always taken pride in our hair. I am not positive that everything is "back to normal" now, and I'm not sure my hair will ever be the same, but I think it is attempting a comeback. For this reason, I braved a haircut yesterday and I'm hoping things will be good from now on.

Before
Now
8 comments:
I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Ditto!
SO CUTE!! I love it. It looks soo good. The color and cut are both awesome. I can't wait to see it in person.
CUTE!!!! This is the shortest you've had it in a LONG time! I love it!
Cute hair cut Aubrey!!
I had a similar problem several years ago. I was getting my hair cut when all of a sudden the gal let out a big gasp (That's not what you want to hear when someone has scissors in their hands). Anyway, I had a big bald spot about the size of a quarter on the back of my head. Like you, I had visions of going bald. Turns out, it was stress and when that stressful event went away, my hair grew back.
Hi Aubrey,
since Jeff refuses to put a link on his blog to mine, I'm directing you to a fabulous post in honor of his birthday full of incriminating photos. check it out.
Aubrey, got to thinking about you today, I think it was a dream that I had, so I looked you up. And here you are, a beautiful woman (hair and all) and so different from the last time I saw you - not because you weren't beautiful before obviously, it's just been at least 5 years or so. This is Jamie, by the way. Used to be Davis, now Kaihoi. I can't email you since I don't know your address, so if you want to be in touch, you'll have to email me: toleigh@mailcan.com I would love to hear from you! P.S. life on my end is VERY different...but I'll leave that for an email:)
Hey Aubrey! Its Angie. Havent talked to you for awhile. Hope all is well and I love your new haircut. Very cute. Talk to you later,
Post a Comment